What strategies for indirect instruction have you used successfully to improve instruction? Please also feel free to share other thoughts about the pros/cons of indirect instruction.
I like Indirect Instruction the best! As a student, I was more the creative type that didn't like the "same ole stuff" everyday. I see this reflected in my teaching although I want to learn how to accomplish this even better. I thought of many ways that I use Indirect Instruction quite often in most all subjects. For example, our day begins with a morning meeting where we cover the contents of our day, word study review, and rule refreshers if necessary. The students give their input in these meetings as they are a time to throw out ideas on different topics. In many subjects like science, social studies, and math I feel most comfortable starting and ending lessons with students sitting on the front carpet to review what's been learned in a class discussion. Writing workshop conferences are also guided by the student. Once I sit to have a conference, I try to focus on the students' needs as they pertain to what the child has chosen to work on. Interactive writing allows students to create letters, posters, graphs, reports, etc., as a whole group, with the teacher as a supporter. Works from this time are centered around topics of student interest. For example, a student from our class recently moved away. As a class, we wrote him a letter (working on word study skills, etc.) while the students were having fun with their purposeful writing. Students felt in control. In science today, we were learning about sound. I gave the students 5 minutes to "explore" sounds they could make(bang on desks, whistle, play drums with pencils..)while I circulated to guide students thinking by questioning (whether the sound was soft, loud, harsh, or musical). I feel Indirection Instruction allows the students to feel a part of their learning and have fun! Indirection Instruction seems to give them ownership in their learning.
I use indirection instruction when i teach labs. I find that if I let students develop their own understanding, of course with a little guidance to keep them on the straight and narrow, they seem to grasp the concept better. Using the scientific inquiry method along with cooperative learning, lends itself well to indirect instruction. Sometimes I think that we assume that are students know less than we thought, (I said sometimes), and with a little guidance they can develop some very great and powerful ideas that can help others students learn that we as teachers struggle with.
Now this semester we are trying some new things with our science level general chemistry course. We are breaking the large lecture section into 20 people groups. This will allows us to do more problem solving with our students and help them gain a better understanding of the concepts.
A major con to indirect instruction was mentioned on one of the sites for me is that I don't just always have time to help them develop their own conception understanding without major input. Time does not allow for it.
Deanna, you sound like a well organized teacher with great ideas (from what I've heard in previous classes with you.) I'm sure in a college setting with so many students, it's "a different ballgame!" You are right...it's easy to assume students don't have the knowledge they actually do. I'm learning my students are a wealth of knowledge!!! These first graders are teaching me things everyday.
I love what I learn from my students. Sometimes I feel during undergrad. Ph.Ds think they know it all because of the degree, but I don't think they realize that some of the best teaching strategies come from the students. I love learning new ideas to present the same information. Students can be so creative with how they process thought.
I have used indirect instruction in the past when I taught reading, science, and social studies. Now that I teach only math, it's harder to incorporate indirect instruction into my lessons. I'm starting my measurement and geometry units soon, though, so I am interested to see how I can incorporate indirect instruction into those lessons.
When I used indirect instruction, I focused more on discussion activities and reading for meaning. I also conducted labs in science where students had to solve problems or describe items based on their characteristics. Of all of the indirect instructional techniques that I have learned, I am most nervous when I employ lessons where students must gain information through exemplars and non-exemplars. Perhaps this nervousness stems from the fact that I am personally not good at that type of learning!
I feel that one pro in using indirect instruction is that students must actually THINK about the material that they are learning. Students are not being handed the answers or the methods. Instead, they must come up with their own answers and problem-solving skills. I feel that this is one of the best ways in which students gain knowledge.
One of the cons, I believe, is that such lessons can be chaotic when students first begin using the approaches. Teachers must be very clear and diligent when explaining their expectations to students. Also, behavior must be monitored closely to ensure that students remain on task.
Deanna, I agree that time is definitely a factor. I also feel that there is not enough time to teach. Indirect instruction does provide many useful ways to instruct students, but it does take a considerable amount of time to conduct these lessons.
Advanced organizers are useful tools for taking notes. This tool can also be used to motivate students to read and bridge new information with old information. I would use advanced organizer to present learning material and task. I would also use AOs to provide scaffolding for students to learn new and unfamiliar information. Conceptual movement can be used in the classroom to challenge students. For example, if there is a problem or something needs to be interpreted, students can use base knowledge to test, investigate or analyze to help them come to a solution. Inductive reasoning can be used in the classroom to challenge students. Deductive reasoning is logical reasoning. I see teachers using deductive reasoning to solve problems.
Examples are often presented by teachers for the sake of helping students understand a specific task. When I am administering an assessment, many times I provide examples to the student; ask questions to make sure they understand what is required of them on a particular subtest.
Guided questions can be used to improve learning for all students. Questions guide and drive the instruction. I believe that what we want students to know and understand is driven by standards. I would use guided questions to guide and clarify information. Guided questions can also be used to identify the root cause of student achievement.
Student ideas can be used to help teachers reach students who are on different levels. Using their idea gives them ownership which makes for a better student/teacher relationship. Sometimes, the ideas that students bring may influence what teachers can accomplish in the classroom. Students can share experience, prior knowledge and habits of minds which can influence how they interpret, and respond to materials and teachers.
Self evaluation helps students to be more independent and it also helps them to know what the teacher wants. I would use Self evaluation to help the students highlight their strengths and weakness. This allows them to make improvements on the quality of their work. Self evaluation is a powerful technique which has a tremendous impact on student performance through self efficacy and intrinsic motivation.
I view group discussions as sharing ideas. I feel that I would involve students in group discussion in order to build self confidence in students. Building self confidence allows students to speak out freely and genuinely become interested in their class work. (AM I HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION?)
Mrs. Blalock, your classe sounds really interesting. I am sure that your students enjoy you as their teacher. I like it when teachers make students feel that they are a part of their learning. From what I have read, indirect instruction seeks to involve students which makes them aware of what they are learning. Good Job!
Shelia, good comments. I believe that knowledge will stay with students longer when they are challenged to think and come up with the answer. What do you think?
Jeannetta, I think that you're right. I know that I remember more and learn more when I have to figure things out for myself, rather than being spoon-fed information! Sheila
I just wish there was more time with our students to do more indirect instruction. Even when I taught HS I felt like there was never enough time due to all the interruptions that occur throughout the school year.
Indirect instruction is a more student-centered approach to teaching and learning! This method of instruction centers around constructivism as students are afforded opportunities to "construct" their own learning environment. The teacher acts as a facilitator giving feedback and keeping students focused, but students ultimately gain the most from this form of instruction.
One of my favorite forms of indirect instruction is inquiry. I believe this method connects the "what" (subject matter) with the "why" (relevance to students) AND the "how" (method of instruction), which is inclusive of ALL important elements of great teaching. With the case studies method, students are allowed to connect with subject matter rather than just memorize it. Case studies allow exploration into topics rather than simple rote memorization. Concept maps are also great learning tools. Organizing material into categories of relevance, similarities, or differences helps to eliminate much confusion!
As a classroom teacher, I've used all of these methods of indirect instruction. Not only does indirect instruction help promote social skills among learners, but it also fosters an exciting classroom environment and keeps students guessing "what's next!" Long gone are the days of teacher-centered instruction, in my opinion. Students come to us with varying needs, stengths, and weaknesses, and it is our responsibility as educators to help them explore and flourish.
JJones,I agree with you on the power of self evaluation. Even as an administrator, I constantly self evaluate. I believe it is the most powerful tool for improvement and/or continued success. I am interested to know what you think about the guiding questions accompanying the Louisiana Comprehensive Curriculum. Do you use them in your classroom, and do you see their benefit?
As you guys already know, I uber-love indirect instruction. I feel like the more ownership you give to a student in the learning process, the more effort they will put into the task.
Of course, an effective teacher is ALWAYS there to reteach, facilitate and guide as necessary. Teachers can model self-evaluation for students and use of higher order thinking skills, as well as how to appropriately assist another student.
For learning to take place during indirect instruction, a teacher must constantly ensure that concepts are fully grasped before students are on a totally independent level.
I do have to remember, though, that struggling students, especially those with low comprehension, do require more direct approach; however, I believe even with struggling students, a combined indirect/direct approach would work best. A teacher would have to work a little harder to assess the balance necessary to achieve academic success, but it would be worth it.
I think my favorite type of indirect instruction is in creative writing. I love to let the kids start out with a little study of their own to find out what the best topic would be by taking polls of the rest of the school after choosing some class favorites (This is also our math lesson!)
Next, each group takes 1 of the same prompt, usually 4 groups, 3 classes. (Each of my 3 classes does their own poll to find topics so that all 3 classes have a different topic). Then, each person in each group writes for 1 minute straight, then passes it on till each group member gets to write twice...sometimes 3 times depending on our time frame.
Next, each group member takes turns proofreading and editing, then discussing any changes, and rewriting a semi-final draft before turning it into me for a final edit.
Then, usually for the next 2 or 3 days, each group gets computer time to type their story and create an exciting and attractive publication to display on our Fifth Grade Halls of Fame.
This transfers the writing to the reading process...all the kids from all 3 classes AND the 4th grade trickling on down...clog up the halls wanting to read how everyone's story turned out so differently based on the group makeup and the author's personality.
They also get to hang up their own illustrations to go with each story, so that's always fun, too.
And they're sharing and thinking and editing and writing and reading and discussing and they can't wait till the next one!
Felecia, I am not in the classrom. Although, I feel that guiding questions are beneficial when correctly applied. for example, I would use open-ended questions to focus on a specific topic. Questions that are posed should require the students to use higher level order of thinking.. What is your take on this?
18 comments:
I like Indirect Instruction the best! As a student, I was more the creative type that didn't like the "same ole stuff" everyday. I see this reflected in my teaching although I want to learn how to accomplish this even better.
I thought of many ways that I use Indirect Instruction quite often in most all subjects. For example, our day begins with a morning meeting where we cover the contents of our day, word study review, and rule refreshers if necessary. The students give their input in these meetings as they are a time to throw out ideas on different topics.
In many subjects like science, social studies, and math I feel most comfortable starting and ending lessons with students sitting on the front carpet to review what's been learned in a class discussion.
Writing workshop conferences are also guided by the student. Once I sit to have a conference, I try to focus on the students' needs as they pertain to what the child has chosen to work on. Interactive writing allows students to create letters, posters, graphs, reports, etc., as a whole group, with the teacher as a supporter. Works from this time are centered around topics of student interest. For example, a student from our class recently moved away. As a class, we wrote him a letter (working on word study skills, etc.) while the students were having fun with their purposeful writing. Students felt in control.
In science today, we were learning about sound. I gave the students 5 minutes to "explore" sounds they could make(bang on desks, whistle, play drums with pencils..)while I circulated to guide students thinking by questioning (whether the sound was soft, loud, harsh, or musical).
I feel Indirection Instruction allows the students to feel a part of their learning and have fun! Indirection Instruction seems to give them ownership in their learning.
I use indirection instruction when i teach labs. I find that if I let students develop their own understanding, of course with a little guidance to keep them on the straight and narrow, they seem to grasp the concept better. Using the scientific inquiry method along with cooperative learning, lends itself well to indirect instruction. Sometimes I think that we assume that are students know less than we thought, (I said sometimes), and with a little guidance they can develop some very great and powerful ideas that can help others students learn that we as teachers struggle with.
Now this semester we are trying some new things with our science level general chemistry course. We are breaking the large lecture section into 20 people groups. This will allows us to do more problem solving with our students and help them gain a better understanding of the concepts.
A major con to indirect instruction was mentioned on one of the sites for me is that I don't just always have time to help them develop their own conception understanding without major input. Time does not allow for it.
Jenny,
You are right. Indirect instruction engages the students more, I just wish I had more time. There never seems to be enough time.
Deanna, you sound like a well organized teacher with great ideas (from what I've heard in previous classes with you.) I'm sure in a college setting with so many students, it's "a different ballgame!" You are right...it's easy to assume students don't have the knowledge they actually do. I'm learning my students are a wealth of knowledge!!! These first graders are teaching me things everyday.
I love what I learn from my students. Sometimes I feel during undergrad. Ph.Ds think they know it all because of the degree, but I don't think they realize that some of the best teaching strategies come from the students. I love learning new ideas to present the same information. Students can be so creative with how they process thought.
I have used indirect instruction in the past when I taught reading, science, and social studies. Now that I teach only math, it's harder to incorporate indirect instruction into my lessons. I'm starting my measurement and geometry units soon, though, so I am interested to see how I can incorporate indirect instruction into those lessons.
When I used indirect instruction, I focused more on discussion activities and reading for meaning. I also conducted labs in science where students had to solve problems or describe items based on their characteristics. Of all of the indirect instructional techniques that I have learned, I am most nervous when I employ lessons where students must gain information through exemplars and non-exemplars. Perhaps this nervousness stems from the fact that I am personally not good at that type of learning!
I feel that one pro in using indirect instruction is that students must actually THINK about the material that they are learning. Students are not being handed the answers or the methods. Instead, they must come up with their own answers and problem-solving skills. I feel that this is one of the best ways in which students gain knowledge.
One of the cons, I believe, is that such lessons can be chaotic when students first begin using the approaches. Teachers must be very clear and diligent when explaining their expectations to students. Also, behavior must be monitored closely to ensure that students remain on task.
Deanna, I agree that time is definitely a factor. I also feel that there is not enough time to teach. Indirect instruction does provide many useful ways to instruct students, but it does take a considerable amount of time to conduct these lessons.
Jenny, I love the activities that you have used with your students! I can tell that they learn a lot through your instruction!
Sheila
Advanced organizers are useful tools for taking notes. This tool can also be used to motivate students to read and bridge new information with old information. I would use advanced organizer to present learning material and task. I would also use AOs to provide scaffolding for students to learn new and unfamiliar information.
Conceptual movement can be used in the classroom to challenge students. For example, if there is a problem or something needs to be interpreted, students can use base knowledge to test, investigate or analyze to help them come to a solution.
Inductive reasoning can be used in the classroom to challenge students. Deductive reasoning is logical reasoning. I see teachers using deductive reasoning to solve problems.
Examples are often presented by teachers for the sake of helping students understand a specific task. When I am administering an assessment, many times I provide examples to the student; ask questions to make sure they understand what is required of them on a particular subtest.
Guided questions can be used to improve learning for all students. Questions guide and drive the instruction. I believe that what we want students to know and understand is driven by standards. I would use guided questions to guide and clarify information. Guided questions can also be used to identify the root cause of student achievement.
Student ideas can be used to
help teachers reach students who are on different levels. Using their idea gives them ownership which makes for a better student/teacher relationship. Sometimes, the ideas that students bring may influence what teachers can accomplish in the classroom. Students can share experience, prior knowledge and habits of minds which can influence how they interpret, and respond to materials and teachers.
Self evaluation helps students to be more independent and it also helps them to know what the teacher wants. I would use Self evaluation to help the students highlight their strengths and weakness. This allows them to make improvements on the quality of their work. Self evaluation is a powerful technique which has a tremendous impact on student performance through self efficacy and intrinsic motivation.
I view group discussions as sharing ideas. I feel that I would involve students in group discussion in order to build self confidence in students. Building self confidence allows students to speak out freely and genuinely become interested in their class work. (AM I HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION?)
Mrs. Blalock, your classe sounds really interesting. I am sure that your students enjoy you as their teacher. I like it when teachers make students feel that they are a part of their learning.
From what I have read, indirect instruction seeks to involve students which makes them aware of what they are learning. Good Job!
Shelia, good comments. I believe that knowledge will stay with students longer when they are challenged to think and come up with the answer. What do you think?
Jeannetta, I think that you're right. I know that I remember more and learn more when I have to figure things out for myself, rather than being spoon-fed information!
Sheila
I just wish there was more time with our students to do more indirect instruction. Even when I taught HS I felt like there was never enough time due to all the interruptions that occur throughout the school year.
Indirect instruction is a more student-centered approach to teaching and learning! This method of instruction centers around constructivism as students are afforded opportunities to "construct" their own learning environment. The teacher acts as a facilitator giving feedback and keeping students focused, but students ultimately gain the most from this form of instruction.
One of my favorite forms of indirect instruction is inquiry. I believe this method connects the "what" (subject matter) with the "why" (relevance to students) AND the "how" (method of instruction), which is inclusive of ALL important elements of great teaching. With the case studies method, students are allowed to connect with subject matter rather than just memorize it. Case studies allow exploration into topics rather than simple rote memorization. Concept maps are also great learning tools. Organizing material into categories of relevance, similarities, or differences helps to eliminate much confusion!
As a classroom teacher, I've used all of these methods of indirect instruction. Not only does indirect instruction help promote social skills among learners, but it also fosters an exciting classroom environment and keeps students guessing "what's next!" Long gone are the days of teacher-centered instruction, in my opinion. Students come to us with varying needs, stengths, and weaknesses, and it is our responsibility as educators to help them explore and flourish.
JJones,I agree with you on the power of self evaluation. Even as an administrator, I constantly self evaluate. I believe it is the most powerful tool for improvement and/or continued success. I am interested to know what you think about the guiding questions accompanying the Louisiana Comprehensive Curriculum. Do you use them in your classroom, and do you see their benefit?
As you guys already know, I uber-love indirect instruction. I feel like the more ownership you give to a student in the learning process, the more effort they will put into the task.
Of course, an effective teacher is ALWAYS there to reteach, facilitate and guide as necessary. Teachers can model self-evaluation for students and use of higher order thinking skills, as well as how to appropriately assist another student.
For learning to take place during indirect instruction, a teacher must constantly ensure that concepts are fully grasped before students are on a totally independent level.
I do have to remember, though, that struggling students, especially those with low comprehension, do require more direct approach; however, I believe even with struggling students, a combined indirect/direct approach would work best. A teacher would have to work a little harder to assess the balance necessary to achieve academic success, but it would be worth it.
I think my favorite type of indirect instruction is in creative writing. I love to let the kids start out with a little study of their own to find out what the best topic would be by taking polls of the rest of the school after choosing some class favorites (This is also our math lesson!)
Next, each group takes 1 of the same prompt, usually 4 groups, 3 classes. (Each of my 3 classes does their own poll to find topics so that all 3 classes have a different topic). Then, each person in each group writes for 1 minute straight, then passes it on till each group member gets to write twice...sometimes 3 times depending on our time frame.
Next, each group member takes turns proofreading and editing, then discussing any changes, and rewriting a semi-final draft before turning it into me for a final edit.
Then, usually for the next 2 or 3 days, each group gets computer time to type their story and create an exciting and attractive publication to display on our Fifth Grade Halls of Fame.
This transfers the writing to the reading process...all the kids from all 3 classes AND the 4th grade trickling on down...clog up the halls wanting to read how everyone's story turned out so differently based on the group makeup and the author's personality.
They also get to hang up their own illustrations to go with each story, so that's always fun, too.
And they're sharing and thinking and editing and writing and reading and discussing and they can't wait till the next one!
:)
OK, as always, I ramble!
Bekah
Felecia, I am not in the classrom. Although, I feel that guiding questions are beneficial when correctly applied. for example, I would use open-ended questions to focus on a specific topic. Questions that are posed should require the students to use higher level order of thinking.. What is your take on this?
Post a Comment