I believe checklists and rubrics are a great tool to use in the classroom. I have used rubrics often that I created myself or online, but I have not used checklists as much. (I did use the student checklist for the LEAP writing when preparing my 4th graders for the test.) I believe rubrics and checklists are an adequate judge of student learning if careful consideration is taken when forming each component. It’s easy to create a rubric that is not aligned well with true expectations for student learning. When created with goals, objectives, and standards in mind, checklists and rubrics are a detailed tool that provides much information and clear expectations to students, teachers, and parents.
I have not had an opportunity to use rubrics/checklist. However, I feel that rubrics are good tools to use to help students understand the goals of a particular project or an assignment. They also help teachers have an objective way to assess the students work as well as help the students to understand what a specific grade really means.
Mrs. Blalock, I agree that rubrics can be used to judge students learning. I Know that some of the teachers use them in the parish I work for in when the students are assigned a particular assignment such as doing a book report.
Ms. Jones, I agree with you. I know that rubrics we use in our LEC class are helpful. As you said, we know the goals as well as the teacher's expectations. It takes the guess work out. Have a great week!
I have used rubrics in the past, but currently do not use them. I found that in my previous experience rubrics were very helpful with informing the students what was expected on them with particular projects. However, in my education experience I found that when a rubric has too much detail it can stifle creativity and that is not a good thing. There needs to be balance between a good and bad rubric.
I agree with both Jenny and Jeannetta that rubrics are really useful. I like having them in the LEC but watch one for the professors that use "uber" detailed rubrics. They can get you.
I have used both rubrics and checklists in my classrooms, and I have found them to be a good source of informal evaluation, particularly rubrics. I provide my students with a copy of the rubric when they are given the details of the assignment or project that they are going to complete. This ensures that the students know how they will be assessed on the project. I always create my own rubric or checklist so that I can make sure that the salient points have been analyzed. One thing that I must guard against, however, is being subjective when I grade my students. I find that I want to give more credit for effort when I can tell that some students really went out of their way to complete parts of the project or not give points when students have not done their very best. So I must ensure that my rubrics are as objective and straight-lined as possible.
Jenny, Jeannetta, and Deanna, I agree with you that rubrics are a useful tool, particularly when you are the student and want to know how you are being graded! Sheila
I love rubrics and checklists personally, both in my own classes and in my classroom. I like a straightforward teacher and assignment with a rubric/checklist that delineates EXACTLY what's expected of me. I always use the rubric/checklist as an outline so that I can schedule my time and energy appropriately. It drives me crazy when an assignment is completely open-ended and subjective. I try to offer my students the same structure that I myself appreciate in a class.
By the way, my favorite site is rubistar.com. You can join for free and make your own rubrics from scratch, use someone else's rubric by searching key words, or use their basic framework to create your own.
Jeanetta - You made a good point. Rubrics help a teacher to stay objective. Sometimes we might let emotions get in the way when grading an assignment subjectively. Sometimes we're just tired by the time we get to the 30th paper, sometimes we're sick, sometimes we're in a great mood. There's so many variables NOT specific to the child's work that can make a grade higher or lower. That's why rubrics are so sensible.
Deanna - I didn't think about stifling creativity until I read your response. You are right. There does need to be a balance on the rubric allowing for necessary point and the creativity involved in personalizing your assignment.
Sheila...often I'll have an extra box on my rubric for when a student goes above and beyond the basic assignment. Good point. Have you tried rubistar.com? If not, do!
I have used rubrics as a teacher particularly with weekly writing assignments and specific projects involving group work/paired learning. I believe in the effectiveness of checklists and rubrics because these measurements offer specific feedback in a clear and concise manner which allow the student to see exactly where they fall in according to the instructor's expectations and standards. I believe the descriptors should be straightfoward and should focus on elements that demonstrate the level of knowledge possessed by the student.
In addition to using checklist with my students, I frequently create and use them personally. By identifying expectations and checking to ensure their acquisition, one can affirm whether or not knowledge was truly gained.
Bekah, I totally agree that using rubrics reduce ambiguity in teacher expectations! This also lessens the frustration of the teacher. When expectations are clearly defined, the process of assessment can be properly implemented.
16 comments:
I believe checklists and rubrics are a great tool to use in the classroom. I have used rubrics often that I created myself or online, but I have not used checklists as much. (I did use the student checklist for the LEAP writing when preparing my 4th graders for the test.) I believe rubrics and checklists are an adequate judge of student learning if careful consideration is taken when forming each component. It’s easy to create a rubric that is not aligned well with true expectations for student learning. When created with goals, objectives, and standards in mind, checklists and rubrics are a detailed tool that provides much information and clear expectations to students, teachers, and parents.
I have not had an opportunity to use rubrics/checklist. However, I feel that rubrics are good tools to use to help students understand the goals of a particular project or an assignment. They also help teachers have an objective way to assess the students work as well as help the students to understand what a specific grade really means.
Mrs. Blalock, I agree that rubrics can be used to judge students learning. I Know that some of the teachers use them in the parish I work for in when the students are assigned a particular assignment such as doing a book report.
Ms. Jones,
I agree with you. I know that rubrics we use in our LEC class are helpful. As you said, we know the goals as well as the teacher's expectations. It takes the guess work out. Have a great week!
I have used rubrics in the past, but currently do not use them. I found that in my previous experience rubrics were very helpful with informing the students what was expected on them with particular projects.
However, in my education experience I found that when a rubric has too much detail it can stifle creativity and that is not a good thing. There needs to be balance between a good and bad rubric.
I agree with both Jenny and Jeannetta that rubrics are really useful. I like having them in the LEC but watch one for the professors that use "uber" detailed rubrics. They can get you.
I have used both rubrics and checklists in my classrooms, and I have found them to be a good source of informal evaluation, particularly rubrics. I provide my students with a copy of the rubric when they are given the details of the assignment or project that they are going to complete. This ensures that the students know how they will be assessed on the project.
I always create my own rubric or checklist so that I can make sure that the salient points have been analyzed. One thing that I must guard against, however, is being subjective when I grade my students. I find that I want to give more credit for effort when I can tell that some students really went out of their way to complete parts of the project or not give points when students have not done their very best. So I must ensure that my rubrics are as objective and straight-lined as possible.
Jenny, Jeannetta, and Deanna, I agree with you that rubrics are a useful tool, particularly when you are the student and want to know how you are being graded!
Sheila
I love rubrics and checklists personally, both in my own classes and in my classroom. I like a straightforward teacher and assignment with a rubric/checklist that delineates EXACTLY what's expected of me. I always use the rubric/checklist as an outline so that I can schedule my time and energy appropriately. It drives me crazy when an assignment is completely open-ended and subjective. I try to offer my students the same structure that I myself appreciate in a class.
By the way, my favorite site is rubistar.com. You can join for free and make your own rubrics from scratch, use someone else's rubric by searching key words, or use their basic framework to create your own.
Jenny - you are right about basing the rubrics/checklists on specific objectives and goals. I forgot to add that. Good point!
Bekah
Jeanetta - You made a good point. Rubrics help a teacher to stay objective. Sometimes we might let emotions get in the way when grading an assignment subjectively. Sometimes we're just tired by the time we get to the 30th paper, sometimes we're sick, sometimes we're in a great mood. There's so many variables NOT specific to the child's work that can make a grade higher or lower. That's why rubrics are so sensible.
Good point,
Bekah
Deanna - I didn't think about stifling creativity until I read your response. You are right. There does need to be a balance on the rubric allowing for necessary point and the creativity involved in personalizing your assignment.
Bekah
Sheila...often I'll have an extra box on my rubric for when a student goes above and beyond the basic assignment. Good point. Have you tried rubistar.com? If not, do!
Bekah
Deanna, I agree that rubrics and checklists can stifle your creativity if they are too confining. Good post!
Sheila
I have used rubrics as a teacher particularly with weekly writing assignments and specific projects involving group work/paired learning. I believe in the effectiveness of checklists and rubrics because these measurements offer specific feedback in a clear and concise manner which allow the student to see exactly where they fall in according to the instructor's expectations and standards. I believe the descriptors should be straightfoward and should focus on elements that demonstrate the level of knowledge possessed by the student.
In addition to using checklist with my students, I frequently create and use them personally. By identifying expectations and checking to ensure their acquisition, one can affirm whether or not knowledge was truly gained.
Bekah, I totally agree that using rubrics reduce ambiguity in teacher expectations! This also lessens the frustration of the teacher. When expectations are clearly defined, the process of assessment can be properly implemented.
Post a Comment